Bean likes to throw bombs at his enemies, and seems to have an endless supply of them (it is believed that he has the comical ability to instantly manifest any type of explosive). The character was modeled after Bin and Pin, two characters in the arcade game Dynamite Dux. He has also starred in Fighters Megamix, along with Bark the Polarbear, and made a cameo in Virtua Striker 2 where Bean is featured in an unlockable team. When Sonic Riders was being produced, many fans mistook Jet the Hawk for Bean due to their similar color schemes.
He and Bark appear in issue #160 of Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog comic where Bean jumps out of the window after Fiona Fox's keys, and is later knocked out by Shadow the Hedgehog. He also made a cameo in the series' 50th issue. Like Bark, he used to be part of a mercenary band led by Nic the Weasel.
- Like every other canon bird in Sonic except for the flickies and including Wave the Swallow, Bean specializes in bombs.
- It is unknown if Bean, Bark, and Honey had voices in Fighters Megamix.
- He cameoed on the cover of Sonic X for the Fool Party issue.
- He is one of the three characters (along with Fang the Sniper and Mephiles the Dark) to have a title that dose not refer to his species. Dynamite refers to his expertiese in explosives.
- His body is bean-shaped, which could have lead to his name.
- When Sonic Riders was published, many fans mistook Bean for Jet the Hawk due to their similiarites.